Week 3 Story- Rama's Exile: Diary Entry #1

 DAY 1:

Dear Diary, 

Rama here. Welp, guess what? I'm in exile now! Who would have thought?! I still can't believe this happened to me, and not to mention how Sita and Lakshmana volunteered to join. Oh, Sita. Let me tell you, Diary, she really is the loml (love of my life). Anyway, I thought that everything was going fine. Lakshmana and I had gone with Vishvamitra to defeat Thataka, Maricha, and Subahu and won! Then I got news from my father, Dasharatha, that I out of all of my brothers get to be the crowned prince. I was prepped and everything, ready to ride through the city on my royal elephant all the way to the throne. Sita would be by my side and we could rule the kingdom of Koshala together. But then I got the call. That dreaded call from my father and Queen Kaikeyi requesting my presence before the ceremony. I walked into the hall before both figures and I notice something is off about my father. His eyes were red and I could see his cheeks were tears stained, but from what I did not know. But boy was I about to find out. Queen Kaikeyi spoke for them both , I assume because my father had a hard time spitting the words out through his sobs. She told me what I least expected. I was to be exiled and Baharta (her son and my brother) would take my place on the throne. I tried to be dignified, I would not let her get to me, but Diary it was so hard not to get angry or cry. I thought I would be seated there with my beautiful wife, but it was stripped away from me. I left and gathered my things and tried to explain to Sita and Lakshmana my fate. They insisted that they join, but I couldn't let them. But no matter my convincing was useless, as I write this Lakshmana and Sita are to my right eating boar by the fire. I miss home, but I know I will return one day. Only 14 more years to go with many more trials ahead, but I know we will make it. I only wonder how father is doing? How is Baharta...? I wonder if he knew. 

- Rama the Exiled 

Open journal with a pen on top (UnSplash)


Author's Note: I chose to write about the story of Rama's exile from what his point of view and thoughts might have been. In the original story he is very level headed and not phased while being informed that he has to leave his home for 14 years. I think that anyone told that would have many thoughts and questions about being commanded that. He does seem to express anger and be more upset while walking in exile with Sita and Lakshmana. I wanted to write him as a person who uses writing as a medium for his thoughts and emotions just like many of us. 

Sources used: M. Dutt, R. Dutt, Gould, Griffith, Hodgson, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Oman, Richardson, and Ryder.

Comments

  1. Hi Keana! I really enjoyed reading your story about Rama's exile. I liked how you made it into a diary entry from Rama's perspective to show more of his emotions and what he was going through on the inside, while trying to remain strong on the inside. I also liked how you wrote casually at times like "Welp" or "loml", it made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keana! Reading about Rama's exile from his point of view helps me to better understand the feelings of Rama that may not have been mentioned in the original story. In the original story all they mention is that he was dignified in all his actions. I really like how in the diary entry you add a bit of a modern twist by adding the loml abbreviation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts