Story Week 5: Sita's Confessions

 Do not get me started on that evil, temptress of a being! Of all the people in the world to fall in love with she choses my Rama. She thought that if she just turned into a beautiful woman that she would have him in her hand. We were wandering the forest like any other day since Rama's exile, when we saw a poor girl. Cautiously we approached her, Rama in front of me and Lakshmana taking up the rear. I guess it was to keep me safe and prevent me from getting lost, they seem to think I too am just a helpless princess. Anyway back to that wench. Well, Rama approached her, but I tried to pull him back, I just had this feeling that something was wrong. She hoisted herself up from the ground, her hair was shiny and dark, eyes wide, yet sultry. Rama said something I could not her while shaking his head and I could tell her face fell. Her dark eyes locked on me and I knew in that moment what she had tried to do. I kept my cool as a young lady should, but I was seething. This bitch just thought she could waltz on in and take the man that was destined for me. Who on earth does she this Surpanakha woman think that she is. After Rama rejected her she tried to go for Lakshmana as well. We were taking over dinner last night and he spilled everything to me. Apparently she she's obsessed with trying to get me out of the picture, like I don't even know this women I'm not sure how she found this much animosity against me. Any who that she got what she deserved from Lakshmana. He leaned in and whispered it because he knew if Rama heard he would be upset, but he cut off the tip of her nose! I know I shouldn't have laughed, but I couldn't help myself. A tiny giggle escaped and I tried to cover it up with a cough so Rama wouldn't notice. If I ever see that Surpanakha again, she is in for it!

Rama rejects Shurpanakha (Wikipedia)

Author's Note: A short story into the secret thoughts of Sita. I used Surpanakha trying to seduce Rama as my story. However this story gives an inside look into how Sita really feels about the matter and that she does care a lot, but can't really show her aggression. I did not really change much just the perspective and Sita's thoughts are my own, but I do feel as if she would be harboring some anger against Surpanakha for trying to get her husband to leave her. 

Comments

  1. Keana, I thought this was a very fun story idea. I agree with your sentiment that you included in your author's note about Sita not being hurt by someone trying to steal her husband. If it were me in her shoes and some woman was trying to push me out of the picture with my husband, I would not let her hear the end of it! I would have been cutting the tip of her nose off instead of Lakshmana. I enjoyed the language and words you chose to use in this story because it definitely made it feel personal; maybe like I was reading Sita's diary. The atmosphere you set up when Rama approached the woman was spot on. I could feel emotions stirring within me that I assumed Sita would be feeling herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keana! I gotta say, I don't know what I expected this story would be after reading the title, but I was very surprised by the story. And, I loved it!! I loved how you were able to convey Sita's attitude and thoughts, she was such an entertaining character. I love how you incorporated the parts of Sita circumventing the typical "nice, helpless girl" stereotypes of her time. I do have two quick things, there were a couple of sentences that I think just had an extra word or something, the one with "Who on earth does she this..." has an extra word, as does "Any who that she got what..." seemed to maybe have an extra word as well? Besides that, I loved this story, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Keana! I really like this story idea. It’s nice to hear Sita’s thoughts, and the aggressiveness and protective sentiment humanizes her character. Undoubtedly, Sita would feel jealous and threatened by her, and I like how you align her inner thoughts to her actions. Sita is calm and respectful, but it’s an interesting take to see her inner thoughts and how she truly feels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keana, I enjoyed reading this version of Surpanakha trying to get Rama’s attention. The original version did not include how Sita was feeling at the time, and I enjoyed how incorporated that into a story. It was definitely more dramatic and funnier – I was able to imagine how it would have gone down in my head. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Keana!

    This was a fun story to read! While reading through the Ramayana and Mahabharata, some of the interactions between characters definitely seems outrageous and bizarre. This story captures a bit of that essence with Surpanakha falling in love with Rama at first sight to the point where she's ready to take his wife "out of the picture". I think you did a great job at telling the story from Sita's perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts