Microfictions: Little Tales of Lanka

On the Look Out 
It was almost night time in the big city. The bright sun was sinking deeper behind the earth and hushes were being whispered throughout the city. It was my time to pounce. I looked high and low for the beautiful Sita, but she was no where to be found. Slinking around corners and peering into the windows of the palace I laid my eyes upon a terrible thing. That must be the dreaded Ravana, but he has no Sita. Still, I was not going to give up until I found her for my friend Rama. Still on he look out.

Hanuman's Blazing Tail 
Catch that monkey! Stop those fires!



Sources used: M. Dutt, R. Dutt, Gould, Griffith, Hodgson, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Oman, Richardson, and Ryder.

Author's Note: I really enjoyed reading about Hanuman  and his little adventure in Lanka s I was inspired by that o write these microfictions. None of the story is changed except for the point of view in which the story about Hanman's search for Sita. I tried to convey a bit of emotion and scurrying about that he does in order to portray some haste and time sensitivity. The second microfiction is a six word story to capture he urgency that would come with Hanuman running around with a fiery tail. 

Comments

  1. Hi Keana!
    I really enjoyed how detailed your drabble microfiction was, especially for it being only 100 words. I felt like I was in the story experiencing every thought that went through Hanuman’s head and every sight he noticed. And I thought your 6-word story was so funny! At the beginning of your microfiction though, I did not realize the story was through Hanuman’s perspective because it gave me an almost animalistic and aggressive vibe. I know he is part monkey, but I consider Hanuman to be benevolent, so I wonder if there is another way for you to convey that this character is Hanuman through the emotions in your writing. Lastly, though a small thing, you might want to consider formatting your stories more clearly. I could not initially tell that you had two stories, each with their own titles, because there was no punctuation or distinct formatting to differentiate between your titles and stories. These were two fantastic and very impressive stories though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Keana!

    I loved that you decided to write a couple of micro-fiction stories. Even though the first story is only 100 words, it is enough to keep you hooked to see what happens in the end. I think it would be better if you worded the story where it makes it clear that Hanuman is the narrator for the story. At first, I did not know who the narrator was. For your second story, it was short and simple. I really liked that! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keana! I found myself wishing you would continue on with more of Hanuman's story in microfiction after reading your first story! I like the brevity and succinctness of microfiction, but with Laura's Tiny Tales from the Ramayana, I could keep reading one story after another to keep the plot going. I want to see what happens next in your version! Hopefully you can write more microfiction in future weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts